I have been out of the classroom for the past two days with Courageous Conversations training. I really enjoy the work we are doing with this committee, but it's hard to be out of the classroom and it's even harder to be out two days in a row. I am really excited to be back with my kiddos tomorrow!
I got an email today from a parent expressing how much her daughter misses me since I have been out. We only had 2 days of school last week, then this little girl was out sick on Monday and then I was out Tuesday and Wednesday, so it's been awhile since I have seen her. This mom just wanted to tell me how much her daughter loves me and that she has been missing me a lot. What a sweet email to receive and so appreciated because I don't think teachers can ever hear enough about the positive influence we have on the kids we teach and the families we work with! She also said that her daughter talks about me all the time and how cool my shoes and scarves are. I have never had a class before that got so excited about my shoes.... love it!
Sometimes I get so caught up in teaching and getting done what I need to get done, that I forget how powerful my impact is on the lives of lots of little people. I think about them all of the time when I am outside the classroom, but it's really nice to know that they are thinking about me, too and talking about me and what we do in the classroom with their parents.
Also, I just got this new book, which I am really excited about. I feel like I have a huge stack of "teacher books" that I have been meaning to get to, but I haven't been doing a lot of reading outside of what I need to read for my courses. I can't wait for winter break because my classes will be on hiatus and I can just enjoy some good reading (and seeing my hubs!)
Since I am really interested in the concept of making scripted reading programs more culturally appropriate and relevant, I think this will be a very interesting read. Sometimes I really question the kinds of stories that are included in the reading program that we use, so I am interested to read some more about what criteria are used when pieces of literature are selected. One of my ideas for my doctoral research involves taking a deeper look at the curriculum we use across grade levels to evaluate how culturally appropriate it is for groups other than White students.


2 comments:
It's so nice to get those positive emails, isn't it? :) That looks like a great read and seems like a good doctoral research question!
What kinds of shoes do you wear to work? I always have the hardest time planning outfits because I want to look professional but I can't deal with heels running after children haha.
I'd be interested to hear what you think of the book. I don't read aloud nearly enough with my kids- it's a goal I always have though.
Post a Comment