Today I assessed one of my students on Fast Track Phonics. The last time I assessed her she was having a hard time recognizing what sounds different words start with and was struggling to remember many of the sounds. Today she recognized 18 of the 21 sounds that we have covered and she was sounding out and reading words! I have heard from the other Kinder teachers that at this grade level, at a certain point in the year things just start clicking. They said it usually happens for many kiddos around February, but I am really happy to see that things have really started clicking for this student already. Today she turned in a pile of homework that up until today had been incomplete and I feel like she transformed into a student. She is now more attentive on the carpet, focusing on the sounds and words, and even shushing the kids who are being too noisy. I am so proud of her progress and feel such joy to see this transformation happening. Witnessing the process of kids learning how to read and having an integral role in making that happen makes being a Kindergarten teacher the best job in the world!
PS I got another new student today-this time in the morning class. Thankfully, she is really sweet. She just moved from California and primarily speaks Spanish, so I don't know how much of what I taught/said she understood, but she tried so hard and was a model student today! I always feel such stress over having a new student, but so far each one has been a pleasant addition to the group. I have a few behavior challenged in the AM group, so I don't feel like I can handle any more. I was very happy to discover that my new friend is terrific!

2 comments:
I seriously love the progress made from the beginning to the end of kindergarten. It's shocking at times, especially in writing! I'm glad you had a huge leap with a student already :)
Sounds like this little girl is finally figuring out this school thing!! :)
We got a new little friend in first grade this week. Unfortunately, on his first day, he got into four arguments and broke a pencil. Fun times ahead....
Post a Comment