My Little Friend

I have a little friend in my PM class who has quickly made an imprint on my heart. His skill level is really low, but I am so committed to helping him make leaps and bounds of progress this year. I can tell he has not really worked with pencils and crayons a lot before coming to school and his fine motor skills needs work. He is starting to recognize his name and I made him a little activity with bottle caps that have the letters of his name on them so he can practice putting them in order. Even though none of the other children have this morning job, he is really happy to do it. When I had the rest of the kids on the carpet, he was lagging behind and I noticed that he was working hard to put his name in order. He switched around the a and the e, but he did a great job and was really motivated to see it through to completion. He also worked on tracing the s's on his morning worksheet very carefully. His intent and concentration were awesome! I had him use the large wooden tracing letters that I got the other day and he was so happy to trace each one even though the other kids were using markers to write. He is perfectly content to work at his own level and I love that. I would love to see him progress in his fine motor coordination so he can start writing his name like the other kids, but I love that he is making small steps forward each day and continuing to love school and work hard.

Even though he doesn't have the same academic skills as the other kids, he really has a good sense of caring for others and noticing things about the other kids. He knows which child goes on which bus, asks a lot of questions, is very friendly to other kids, and always loves to help. I am so excited to see his progress this year.

We were told that a few teachers who are on a special team geared towards culturally appropriate instruction will be trying out home visits this fall with families. My principal said anyone who wants to choose a family and do a home visit is welcome to, but we are not being mandated to do this. I am still trying to decide if I want to or not, but I definitely think that if I decide to do it that I will choose to visit this boy's family. His mom is coming on our field trip next week and I am really excited to get to know her.

Do you do home visits? What do you think about them?

P.S I still have hives! I went to the doctor today but there wasn't really a conclusion about why they have popped up. Possibly stress???

2 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Have you tried Benedryl Allergy? I'm sure it is stress related but just in case its' related to like laundry detergent or something else. Sophomore year of college this happened to me and there was never a conclusion, nothing came of it and it never happened again... kind of weird.

Sounds like such a cute kid :) I have a similar one academics wise but he is a little less "enthusiastic" shall we say about doing things. Not that he avoids it completely, it's just kind of an extra struggle to get him to do stuff haha. If you have other things you do with your kiddo please post or let me know, I need some ideas :)

Raye said...

When I taught 2nd grade, I broke out in hives really bad. They were everywhere -- arms, legs, chest (in the worst place!), torso. We couldn't figure out what the heck had caused them and Benadryl did nothing to help.

Finally we figured out that the new laundry stuff we had bought had caused me to have an allergic reaction. I've never had an allergic reaction to anything so it took us about a week to figure it out and I was SO miserably itchy that week.

Have you tried anything new like that that may be the culprit?