Funnies

Today was a better day. Once again the afternoon was fantastic and I even got to pull kids to have them practice sounds and words 1:1 with me during choice time. I find that I learn so much information working/talking 1:1 and because of that I HEART choice time. During my AM session, I didn't pull kids and instead I worked with 2 children on some initial sound games. The first was the sound trains where they pick a train mat that has a letter on it and find the picture cards with a matching initial sound. Then we did the initial sound stamps. Those are stamps with an image and all of the letters for the word except the first sound. The students stamped their papers and then practiced writing the letters that represented the missing sound. When it was time to clean up the little boy that I was working with was seriously over the top about what we did. He literally exclaimed more than 5 times that it was the funnest thing he ever did. LOVE IT!




Also, I read the story There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed Some Leaves to the AM group. I got it along with some other free books from Scholastic this month. Although the original song is funny, I have to say that the various books I have gotten based on the song from Scholastic are not my favorites. This one was pretty lame (according to me), but the kids enjoyed the repeating phrase, "I don't know why she swallowed the leaves, perhaps she'll sneeze." Of course I was trying to be very exciting and dramatic each time I exclaimed that I didn't know WHY she swallowed the leaves. About halfway through one little girl raised her hand (the same girl who had a marathon hand raise just to tell me my shoes were beautiful) and she said "because she hambre" (hambre means hungry in Spanish). She didn't get why I didn't get why the woman ate the leaves....she was hungry...duh! This little girl is just about the more precious thing out there! I love her comments.

I have class again tomorrow and I think I still have some homework to finish up...boo! The Biggest Loser is on tonight so I just may be multitasking! At least this week the snack shares are up and running so we should have some good snacks to munch on during both classes!


PS There is a big smile on my face because operation document camera was a success and I now have one to use in my classroom! I cannot wait to get started on using it for math because Kinder kiddos need good modeling and it has been very difficult to model all of the activities that require numerous manipulatives. I am anticipating some mesmerization (is that a word!?) tomorrow when they see how it works!

4 comments:

Julianne Hendrickson said...

I love my ELmo document camera!! you will be amazed how often you use it, even in K!

Raye said...

I would die without my ELMO! My first year teaching I had an overhead projector and since then I've had the fortune to be in newer buildings with an ELMO in every room and it is SO wonderful. Very rarely does a day go by that I don't use it (it does happen sometimes but not very often). Our K teachers put science materials up so the kiddos can see it on the screen and they love it!

Frau M. said...

I laughed out loud when I read the phrase "marathon hand raise". I hope you don't mind, but that just made it to my vernacular.

Janae said...

We just got document camera's this year, too. I love it! I don't know how I survived with just an overhead before. And, I love those stamps! Where did you get them?