Today my students did an activity where they had to complete the sentence "I am a ________." because our sight word this week is "a' and we have worked on "I" and "am" in previous weeks. I gave the sentence "I am a great teacher" as an example (hehe) and I had a girl raise her hand and told me she thought that was selfish because I was saying that I was better than the other teachers. Some of the others kids chimed in and agreed.
Ok....first of all, her thought was pretty well stated for a Kindergartner, but I was thinking the kids would be more prone to agree that I am indeed a great teacher rather than argue that I was being mean to other teachers. I was a little thrown by her thought. I explained that I was just saying something about myself and that I was not saying other teachers were not great or saying that I am better than others, just that I am a great teacher (come on kiddos, I am just trying to give an example!). They were insistent that my sentence was rude.
Hmph!
At least I got lots of hugs at the beginning of the day because the kiddos missed me while I was out for two days so I know that they love me even though they seemed to take issue with the fact that I tried to proclaim myself as a great teacher. Kids are so funny!
Looking forward to our Halloween parties tomorrow that I was fortunate enough to have parents plan and organize for me! I will be dressing up like a blue crayon just like I do every year, although I have a new pair of royal blue adidas kicks to go with my costume this year :0)

4 comments:
Man, tough crowd you have there!
Jealous you can dress up as the same thing ever year- I did the same thing two years in a row and some teachers were like OH you are that again, I'm like the kids haven't seen it and they love it. Now my costume for tomorrow is MUCH more lame (I'm being a cat- what can I say, I have conferences in the morning!) but at least it's different.
Oh the other hand your kids are not very nice!!! That is something that would actually kind of piss me off if a kid said that haha. I swear I don't take things personally, but that's really unexpected. Most kids would be like you ARE a great teacher. Anyway, I'll be the 5 year old here and say you ARE a great teacher. And btw- do they even know the meaning of the word selfish?
I agree, tough crowd!!
I tell my students all the time how fabulous their teacher is and they just agree ;) I'd think that the 5th graders would be more prone to tell me to stifle it because I was rude LOL
Wow...you are clearly a great teacher to provoke such complex thoughts in children. :)
And I'd love to see your blue crayon costume! :) Have fun!!!
I thought of you today and hope you're doing really well!
Post a Comment