Sometimes I miss it...

I have posted before about my surprise and satisfaction at how great it has been working with middle school students. While I antipated eyerolls, annoyance, sarcasm and hormones, I was pleasantly surprised by polite, appreciative, accepting, very nice kids. Although I am really enjoying my work with students in this age group, I have to say that sometimes I really miss my litte ones.

I taught first grade for three years and pre-school the year before that. One of the huge differences between these older students and the younger ones of my past is the fact that little kids just need more help. Simply put. They need their teachers more. Whether it is for academics, shoe tying, problem solving, or container opening the frequent beckoning of, "teacher! teacher!" definitely always made me feel needed.

Not to mention, not a day went by when I didn't get a hug. Most likely several.

Middle schoolers need help, but not in the same way. It's just not as satisfying to point out that there is another multiplcation strategy they might want to put to use than it is to zip a jacket or punch the straw in the Capri Sun.  I guess I really enjoyed the care taking part of teaching. Helping these little people get through the day, being a surrogate mom of sorts who not only teaches them, but helps them with other needs as well.

Not to mention, middle schoolers don't hug. Well, they probably hug each other, but not so much their teachers. I miss those hugs. I miss those excited faces that came to school with discombobulated stories of events that happened at home either the previous night or that morning.

Dare I say, I miss the wiggles?

My job now is different. I don't get to be with the same little group day in and day out. If you are a teacher, you know that your class becomes a team, a family of sorts, and that is a nice feeling. If you are absent, you are greatly missed! You feel like the class just might fall apart in your absence which is why you create lesson plans so detailed that you practically tell the substiute everything he/she should do including when and where to breathe. Having your own class truly is a treasure and a wonderful experience despite all those moments when you absolutely want to rip your hair out. It is in those moments when a quick hug from a student who takes you by surprise by wrapping their little arms around your bottom half, or a little drawing showing you and your little friend in crayon representations make every moment of teaching worthwhile.

I miss those things.

I miss my little ones.

5 comments:

Nicolasa said...

There is something special when working with either age group. I think the feeling of the little ones leaves feeling rewarded more often because the changes we make with the older ones are subtle and they make less of a deal out of it, if they make anything out of it at all.

Mr. Halpern said...

I have to say, I totally, utterly get your post. Bravo... or should I say Brava?

My days with my little ones (kindergarten) are just magical. They have a unique way of viewing the world that older students just don't have. I find their energy infectious. At the end of every day I'm exhausted, but I'm smiling, laughing and love every second of it.

Jen said...

I know exactly what you mean! I miss my little ones too!! I do enjoy my position now but there is something special about having your class! Like you said you become a little family and I MISS that!

Formerly known as Frau said...

I would think it is hard teaching the older kids but really rewarding when you make a difference in a young adults life. You are just gonna have to get some extra hugs from Hubby!

Kelly said...

It's funny- there are a lot of days that I think about how much *EASIER* it would be to be an intervention person, who just dealt with a few kids a day, worked in small groups with kids- so much less behavior management, less dealing with opening capri suns etc. However, I think I would miss some parts...