The Power of the List

I have a secret.

I have this amazing ability to be aimlessly, utterly unproductive. I'm talking still wearing pajamas and haven't brushed my hair at 5:00 unproductive. Usually that occurs on Fridays because I don't work on Fridays. I can sleep in and do what I want because I don't have anywhere to be. Despite the fact that it seems near impossible to not get in a workout and get lots of stuff accomplished on a day when I don't work....it happens.

I started to get really bothered by my lack of motivation and the increasing number of Fridays that passed without getting anything accomplished. I felt like I was wasting precious days of having the apartment to myself, yet not doing anything remotely useful.

I decided I need an intervention.

Enter: the list.

Making a list has this incredible power over me because I crave the satisfaction of passing my permanent black sharpie over an item that I have completed. I go so far as to write "extra" things on the list, like make the bed & shower,  just so I can have more to cross off. Those kinds of things should be a given, yet it feels so good to cross them off when they're done.

Yesterday I made a list of all things I wanted to get accomplished which included grocery shopping, returning bottles and getting more water from the beverage store, reading a an incredibly long and boring chapter in my text for homework, working out, taking out the trash,  cleaning the bathrooms, and doing laundry. Whew! Lots of things to get done, but I crossed off each and every one! It felt so good to have a productive day and I give all the credit to my little list.

It sucks to feel disorganized and unroductive.

It feels great to look at a list with every item crossed off, knowing that the laundry is clean folded and put away, that the fridge is full of groceries, the apartment is clean, the toilets have been scrubbed, the homework is done, my body has worked hard, and I can look back at my day and know that it was not a waste.

I love the power of the list.

7 comments:

Julianne Hendrickson said...

a list is a girl's BEST friend!

itsawrap said...

As a teacher, I have to have my lists to stay organized and on track or I'd be lost! I am the post it queen...I have post-its for my post-its!

Karin Katherine said...

YES---I so agree. And what is it about using a Sharpie to cross off your action items? NOTHING else compares. I don't like ballpoint pens or pencils for this, just a Sharpie!

teacherwoman said...

I am a HUGE list person as well! :)

Kelly said...

I totally agree about lists- it must be a teacher thing. Don't feel too bad about the Friday thing- when I had Friday's off in college I never got anything done either, it's something about knowing you have 3 full days before work starts again...

ps. started my teacher blog- sheteaches.wordpress.com

Come visit, its weird to be at 0 comments again!

Lisa said...

I'm all about the list as well! I always do mine on post - its and stick them all over the place.

Formerly known as Frau said...

My husband was off on Friday so we did all our chores on Friday it was great Saturday was relaxing and today...well you can do much today but relax. I'm a list girl too but I need to step it up and exercise! Have a wonderful Sunday!