My first quilt!

My grandmother makes beautiful quilts. She made me one when I was in high school and then she made another one for my husband and me when we got married. She enters her quilts in competitions and her work is beautiful.

I regret never asking her to teach me when she lived close to me. I was so young then, it never occurred to me. She moved to Florida when I was in second grade, so although I got to appreciate the things she made for me, I never got to chance to learn from her.

Now, I see the meaning in her work and I want to learn.

Luckily, I have Lucinda.

She is one of the women I met in the International Women's Group here in Germany and she is also an extremely talented quilter. Each of the beds in her apartment is covered with a unique quilt and her creations decorate her walls as well. I am in awe! I was thrilled when she told me that she gives lessons--even to super beginners who know nothing about quilting (or sewing for that matter!)

Before I went home to the US, Lucinda taught me a little bit about selecting quilting fabric and showed me some different designs/patterns. The fabric in Germany is quite expensive, so she recommended buying it while I was in the states.

My mom and I went to JoAnn fabrics, but for an amateur, it was really overwhelming because there is so much stuff. I looked at a lot of fabrics, but did not find anything that really jumped out. I am going to make a baby quilt, but I don't actually have a baby, or even a baby on the way, so I didn't really have any particular inspiration or theme in mind. I was on the lookout for a print with zoo or farm animals because I figured that was gender neutral enough while still being really cute.

JoAnn's turned out to be a flop.

I recalled the recommendation of a family friend, who said that smaller quilt shops are far superior. My mom and I looked up the ones she recommended and set out to find the perfect fabric. Since it takes a long time to make a quilt, Lucinda said it is very important to be in love with your chosen fabric because you end up looking at it a lot!

We found a little quilt shop tucked away in Bethel, CT and the owner was really helpful. Aren't small businesses great? The fabric was a little more expensive than at JoAnn's, but I knew the quality and selection would be better.

With Lucinda's coaching in mind, I searched through rows and rows, bolt after bolt to find my fabric.

I am so happy with what I found and I think that despite my newbie status as a quilter, that I did a pretty good job selecting coordinating prints. Lucinda said to pick one "main" fabric that I really love and then choose 4 or 5 other fabrics that coordinate. The other fabrics should have very small prints.

This is what I came up with.


 
 Even though this color scheme is not super girly, per se, I think the a Noah's Arc theme is really cute for either a girl or a boy. I love this one as the main fabric.

The coordinating prints:
 
 
 
 

smaller "coordinating" version of the main print. I love that it goes, but that it is smaller which follows the rules :0)



 
 doesn't this one look like waves? Perfect match for the Noah's Arc theme...this one will be for the back of the quilt.


close up of some of the cute animals

 

**those came out pretty dark, but the flash was making big bright spots so no flash was the better option**

I am really excited to get started and I wonder how long it will take to finish?! I think the most exciting part about making this is that I feel like I am doing it for my grandma and I can't wait to show her my handiwork!

Are you crafty?
Do you sew?
What is your favorite crafty project or something that you are dying to learn how to do?

10 comments:

itsawrap said...

I have always wanted to have a homemade quilt. They are so beautiful and made with love. Unfortunately I am not a crafty person!

Lollidale Farm said...

Hi! Visiting from SITS! I love your fabric selections! I really wish I sewed more. I enjoy it, but it tends to lead to more frustration than anything else. SO I rarely pull out my sewing machine.

Better in Bulk

Morgan said...

That's going to turn out very cute! I agree with starting with a baby quilt, a.k.a. starting small.

I just finished my first quilt! http://everydaymorgan.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/olivias-quilt/

Best of luck. I can't wait to see the results!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Good for you! Like you, I had a grandmother who was a quilter. She made me quilts all the time. As a child, I may not have appreciated them as much as I do now, but today I'm so thankful to have some of her quilts saved! She was so talented. I am not crafty, at all, but I would love to learn how to quilt one day, or even simpler, learn how to knit. I want to knit scarves and gloves for my children (when I have them)!

Jen said...

How FUN!! I can't wait to see the progress you make! I am NOT a sewer but I did get a sewing machine from Santa so I hope to learn soon!! Best of luck and have FUN!!!

teacherwoman said...

I made a quilt a few summers ago when I was home between grad school and starting my job... with mom's help. I haven't finished it yet, as I need to the stitching! It's actually quite fun, and relaxing!

Kelly said...

So very awesome! My best friend is a quilter, I don't think I could ever do it but I love that she does!

Anonymous said...

I love the animal print! Stopping by from SITS!

Pineapple Princess said...

The fabrics look so cute together! :)

Nicolasa said...

Great fabric choice!

I am working on my own quilt and it is taking a while... granted I am not spending time every day doing it, so that could be the problem! :-)

Good luck!