Classroom Blogs

Today I was thinking about different ways blogs could be used as a teaching tool in the classroom. I can only imagine the possibilities with older students, but I am mostly thinking in terms of the little guys. Even though I am working with older students now, my mind is always processing teaching information in terms of first grade. Since I taught at that level for three years, it's pretty ingrained.

I was thinking about the process of teaching young learners how to write and how to think about writing and the process of writing. Often times teachers conduct sessions of shared writing where a piece is brainstormed by a group effort. The teacher does the writing, but the whole group is pooling together ideas, giving input, and responding the secretly planned out questions being innocently posed by the teacher who is very consciously carrying out a specific lesson about writing while attempting to simply come up with a spontaneous piece.

With the use of certain technology elements, such as an interactive whiteboard or a document camera/projector combo (if they are available), this practice could be modernized a bit by introducing the wonderful world of blogging!

Some of the ideas I was mulling over:
  • Writing a daily class post to reflect on the events of the day and what was learned. (Great time for a bit of review!)
  • Inviting students to comment for homework sharing something they learned or liked about that day.
  • Using a blog post (conveniently infused with errors) to teach about conventions or writing strategies. Students could help to edit the piece to make it ready for publishing.
  • Using a class blog as a great place to publish students' writing for their families to see.
  • Having a Student of the Week create a post about him or herself. (Student could hand write it and teacher could type it up or student could type it him or herself depending on age and classroom time allowance).
  • Using a blog as a way to communicate with and update parents (which only works if parents own computers or have access to one).
  • Having a great place to showcase class pictures. 
My favorite idea is using a class blog as a source of daily reflection and shared writing. I think that this would be a fantastic way to model the thinking process during writing and for me, it would be a great way to show the kids that I like to write and how I do it in my daily life. Yes, it's pretty much the same as using a big old piece of chart paper, but it's more environmentally friendly, right? Also, it's undeniable that certain aspects of technology are cool like the ability to use multiple colors, & highlight text, cross out text, cut and paste sentences etc. Also, for young learners, the red underline underneath misspelled words is a good clue/indicator of what might need to be fixed.

Imagine the excitement if comments appeared from parents, other teachers, or even the principal in response to student writing!? Oh, I can just imagine the fun!

Again, this is one of those moments where I wish I had my own class. I would definitely try out a class blog and see how it could be used to enhance instruction in writing and editing. At a school like the one where I currently teach, where each student has his or her own school email address and older students are expected to utilize an online server to access homework assignments posted by their teachers, I think that a classroom blog would be well received by parents. At my other school, I am not sure if all of the families would have access to computers for viewing a class blog, but it would still be a great tool for use in the classroom for instruction during the school day. Also, students could try out posting comments during a whole group computer class if they don't have computers at home.

Just thinking...

What do you think about classroom blogs?

11 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

I think these are great ideas. I love your idea about sharing work.

My son's teacher set up a page through the school website, and it was great to know when field trips were coming up, but I really like the details about upcoming projects. Periodically, students would write pieces about the class was doing.

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

I used a classroom blog last year, attached to my class website. I would have individual kids write it at the end of the day, or we would write together as a class. It was great for teaching transition words, comma usage, etc. The kids found it to be a huge privilege because they were allowed to type on the laptop, at my desk. I would even project it sometimes. They loved to read each other's posts, too. There is SO much value that can be added, but honestly... there was little time in the day. I never corrected grammar--just spelling sometimes because I think it's important that you can still understand. I wanted the kids to own their work, though. That's a balance to think of as well. I strive to use them more effectively in my next year of teaching (hoping that is September!). Also... kids...type...realllllly...slow!

(at high school level... I know of teachers who also use them as a way to reflect and have other kids comment. Sharing learning is Key.)

I love it.

Here's my website-- hasn't been updated in awhile, but surely has a decent start: http://mrswilson.weebly.com/

itsawrap said...

I think it's a good idea but difficult to monitor.

Ginger Snaps said...

It's unfortunate that there aren't more resources available for students to be able to do stuff like this in class on a regular basis. We have five laptop carts at our school and they all SUCK! The one and ONLY time I tried to use them this year, half died about 10 minutes into the activity and it was absolutely pointless...

Anyway, this got me thinking that I could have my students reflect on in class learning in computer lab! YAY! Thanks for the idea!

Ginger Snaps said...

Oh, also, it's also really hard for my students to do stuff like this at home because I teach at the most impoverished school in my county and only about 1% have access to internet. =(

I know...how do they live without it?!

Lisa said...

I love the idea of a class blog! I have a class wiki that my students contribute to (I teach high school history). I think it would be great if you could get the little ones to do participate, it's a good way to get them familiar with technology and could even be used as a way of assessing writing growth over time.

Amanda said...

Its a really interesting idea! ANd with a privacy option, you could really do A LOT with it!!

Way to go teach. :)

Blessings-
Amanda

Jen said...

I seriously considered having a class blog the last year I taught 2nd grade but the issues with publishing student's work and pictures over the internet scared me! I am sure now with a few more years of technology and blogging I might reconsider because yes, it could really be wonderful tool!!

Kelly said...

I have a class blog. I don't update it that frequently but I do occasionally publish student work on it. Last year we published poetry on it and the kids parents left us comments. We even got a comment from an aunt in Canada. The kids were so excited! I just wish I had better technology so I could show the kids without just one computer. I need a smartboard :)

Anonymous said...

How funny! I JUST wrote a post about how I use blogs in my classroom! :)

http://classroomconfessions.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/teaher-tip-tuesday-class-blogs/

I think it is a great idea and I hope you'll use blogs when you do have your own class!

Kezzie said...

I really want a class blog and we are being encouraged to have one. I think it will prompt creativity, thinking and be a valuable incentive for them- the kudos being the class blogger for the day as well as being a real purpose for writing for a real audience. However, we are still waiting for our E-safety policy to be updated etc and for our website to be finalised so I can't really do one yet. Pity as I have some great recordings of the children's music and drama that I have recorded on Podcasting software that I am just itching to share!!