::sneaker teacher now descends from soapbox:: :0)
I am working with a student right now who is presenting with a lot of symptoms correlated with ADHD and I am in the process of trying to learn more about it. Our team is looking for ways to support this student and empower him with regards to certain aspects of his school day and his school work that are not successful right now. I know I may have sounded a little preachy before speaking of how we refer to students who exhibit learning problems or disabilities, but my purpose in talking about ADD/ADHD is simply to share what I am learning. I am not an expert and I like to share what I learn and ask for help from others.
The following information comes from www.add.org
According to the DSM-IV (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition) some common symptoms of ADHD include: often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes; often has difficulty sustaining attention to tasks; often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly; often fails to follow instructions carefully and completely; losing or forgetting important things; feeling restless, often fidgeting with hands or feet, or squirming; running or climbing excessively; often talks excessively; often blurts out answers before hearing the whole question; often has difficulty awaiting turn.
I also found interesting information at http://www.chadd.org/
which separated symptoms into three different types of attention difficulties.
AD/HD - Primarily Inattentive Type:
• Fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes.
• Has difficulty sustaining attention.
• Does not appear to listen.
• Struggles to follow through on instructions.
• Has difficulty with organization.
• Avoids or dislikes tasks requiring sustained mental effort.
• Is easily distracted.
• Is forgetful in daily activities.
AD/HD - Primarily Hyperactive/Impulsive Type:
• Fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in chair.
• Has difficulty remaining seated.
• Runs around or climbs excessively.
• Has difficulty engaging in activities quietly.
• Acts as if driven by a motor.
• Talks excessively.
• Blurts out answers before questions have been completed.
• Has difficulty waiting or taking turns.
• Interrupts or intrudes upon others.
AD/HD - Combined Type:
• Meets both inattentive and hyperactive/impulsive criteria.
Because everyone shows signs of these behaviors at one time or another, the guidelines for determining whether a person has AD/HD are very specific. In children, the symptoms must be more frequent or severe than in other children of the same age. In adults, the symptoms must be present since childhood and affect one’s ability to function in daily life. These behaviors must create significant difficulty in at least two areas of life, such as home, social settings, school, or work.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what has been successful when working with students that have ADHD? Would love to hear some thoughts from other teachers and/or parents who have dealt with meeting the needs of children with ADHD.

8 comments:
I definitely agree with you about thinking about our students in a positive light and seeing their strengths, but sometimes I think the language aspect is a little picky I guess...I remember in grad school writing papers about "students with autism" and if anyone said "autistic student" it was this terrible terrible thing. Personally, I think about the students in my class the same way no matter what order I put the words in...you know? Just me though...I definitely see what you are saying :)
Do LOTS of movement activities in class!! I have two in my room diagnosed, one more severe than they other and so I try to do lots of things in class to get everyone up and moving! Plus, it's fun!!
Using a Sand timer to give them reminder/time limits.
You do sound really preachy and I think I many need to unsubscribe after this post.
The ADD/ ADHD student who is not treated properly (typically by irresponsible parents that don't stay current on the meds prescription) infringe on the rights of all the learners in the classroom. It is a HUGE issue in our schools and any teacher who doesn't easily see the signs of these difficulties needs to do some research and get some help. Otherwise you are allowing a child to go on another year without the help they truly need.
Hey Katie! Amen girlfriend. I think that it is incredibly responsible of you to be speaking out for the kiddos who cannot do it for themselves. I think often times children who have ADD or ADHD are often labeled as "lazy" or "disorganized" I think it takes a real teacher to be patient with these kiddos and provide the support that is needed. As this is Your blog I don't think you are being preachy at all because after all THIS IS YOUR BLOG!
Ok so I think I figured out WHY Michelle was throwing her weigh-ins. Basically her team had immunity, therefore it doesn't matter how much weight she loses. She's trying to lose the lease amount of weight possible because on the weeks where they DON'T have immunity, she will still be at her starting weight, therefore she'll be able to loose a lot more (remember how the first week is always the biggest weight loss week?! It's because it's easier to lose weight when you weigh more, and most of it is water weight). She her thinking is that if she can stay close to her starting weight, then her "first week" of not being immune, she will loose a bunch of weight! Does that make sense? Basically she's only in it for the money, not the benefits of health and wellness. Lame.
Wow, this is obviously a hot topic of which I don't know much about. I do think that sometimes labels get thrown around by parents too much. I don't think every child that fidgets or acts up has ADD or ADHD. I think some kids are just not being taught to behave properly or have always been allowed to be impulsive.
My SIL says her son (from a previous marriage) was diagnosed with ADD. They put him on medication and she hated her son being on the medication. She took him off and did some homeopathic stuff and although he has a lot of energy and exhaust you with all his energy, he is very bright and gets straight A's in school. I wonder if he really had an issue and I agreed with my SIL that obviously he didn't need to be on the meds. However, the school system required him to be on it and so she took him out and is homeschooling him.
I don't think homeschooling is for everyone and I'm really sad that the school felt that they knew better than the parent. I wouldn't like to be forced to medicate my child. Especially since he was doing well with the homeopathic stuff and still getting straight A's. I think the labels caused the teachers to treat him differently too. That makes me sad too.
Wow, annonymous needs to get a clue!!! Maddison had ADHD signs for THREE years before I ever even realized what was going on!!! Symptoms don't typically present until 5,6,7. I had no clue what was going on, only that I was doing everything that I KNEW to do!!
Teachers are NOT allowed to suggest to a parent that they suspect a child has ADHD. They are only allowed to give suggestive words such as, "they are having problems paying attention", etc. Every year, from kindergarten through 2nd grade, the teachers always told me that.
I obviously knew that. But despite everything we tried, we couldn't help it, and we didn't know what to do. It wasn't until 2nd grade, that her symptoms were obviously progressing, and we just didn't know what to do anymore. The only reason we had a clue to get her tested was b/c my cousin's son had just been diagnosed with ADHD. And my cousin told me that the Dr. said teachers are not allowed to say anything.
Which is frustrating. We all know that teachers are not doctors. But they are very educated, and typcially have a lot of experience dealing with children that suffer from ADHD. If they see symptoms presented, after dealing with a child day in and day out, they should be able to mention to a parent that their child may be showing some symptoms. Or that they are struggling. I know this can be a touchy subject, but there really are a lot of parents, just like I was, that didn't have any idea what was going on.
Thank the Lord for great teachers like you, my dear!!
ANd you're definitely better off without a reader like ole annonymous there. See ya!!
Katie, This is a great post!!!
I am a special ed. teacher who now has and have had many, many students diagnosed with ADHD and varying degrees of ADD.
As you very well know, every student is an individual case. Gotta get off for my son. .. be back later.
Post a Comment