I got this book with my April Scholastic book club order and I really liked it. The story is about a little girl who collects all the spare change she can find in a jumbo sized jar because she is saving up to buy her mom a big comfortable chair. She shares the story that the home she lived in with her mom and grandma burned down because of a fire and they were left with nothing. They were given many things by kind friends and neighbors, but what the girl wants most for her mom is to have a comfy place to rest after she has worked hard all day. She saves and saves until finally the jar is full and she takes her mom and grandma shopping for the perfect chair that they have been dreaming about. My class really enjoyed this story and I am happy to have it as part of my collection.
My school is also putting on a spring book fair and the PTA did a coloring contest for teachers with the grand prize of $100 in books from the fair and two runner up prizes of $50 to spend at the fair. I entered and my fingers are crossed! There is some tough competition....teachers are a creative bunch, but I think I may at least be in the running. The students get to vote and the winners will be announced on Monday.

No comments:
Post a Comment