The group "amphibians" includes two main groups, frogs and salamanders and additionally toads and newts which are part of those groups. The main difference between frogs and salamanders is that salamanders have tails. Our unit focuses mainly on frogs.
The main topics covered in the amphibians unit are:
- vocabulary "amphibian" and "metamorphosis"
- life cycle of the frog
- frog characteristics (bulging eyes, smooth moist skin, strong back legs, webbed feet, long sticky tongue)
- food chain
- frog habitat/pond life
Here are some of the materials I have used:
CHARACTERISTICS
modified activities for student with special needs working on color matching.
LIFE CYCLE
life cycle plastic set purchased for $5.95 from Oriental Trading
FOOD CHAIN
Food Chain
Publish at Scribd or explore others: School Work Research Business & Economics Recipes & Menus food chain
Food Chain Quiz
Images created using Boardmaker program. Sticky magnets used on the back so students can arrange images in the correct order on the whiteboard.
modified food chain matching activity for student with special needs.
HABITAT
photos to come!
SOME FAVORITE BOOKS
SOME FAVORITE BOOKS
I borrowed all of the books that our school library has relating to amphibians and frogs and put them in a separate basket so they are easy for students to access throughout the day at various reading times. I also have many age appropriate non-fiction books that I purchased from Scholastic Book Clubs that the kids are loving. Many non-fiction books are too difficult for first graders to read, but I am working on a collection of non-fiction books that are more geared towards younger readers.
I also have many projects that the kids worked on that I am going to attempt to scan and include here for downloading, but I have to learn how to do that! Check back!

No comments:
Post a Comment