D to the R

I am very excited/proud/happy to announce that I was accepted into the Doctoral Program at PSU!

 Despite my last minute application, I was chosen to be one of about 15 members of the Fall 2009 cohort. My specialty will be in Curriculum & Instruction and my research for my dissertation will probably focus on multicultural and culturally/linguistically appropriate education. 

I am in for at least 3 more years of school, but I am really determined to get it done. The woman who interviewed me told me that only about 50% of people who start doctoral programs actually see them through to completion. I do not plan to be part of that 50% who drops out.

During any frustrating, difficult, and insane times I can always remind myself of the wedding invites..... 

Dr. and Mr. Toppel request the honour of your presence
 at the wedding of 
(insert name of yet to be conceived child)

It will be a long road ahead filled with 124+ credits, comprehensive exams, and the longest paper I will ever write, but I am really pumped for the journey.

P.S. Now I am bound by my conscience to run a marathon, sew a quilt, and write a children's book as I pledged in my application essay that I would do (thankfully, I did not give myself a deadline on that!)

1 comment:

Karin Katherine said...

WOW. Congratulations. That is amazing. I especially got a good chuckle over your motivation on the wedding invitation of your future child.

My humanities teacher in High School (who still teaches there) has a doctorate and Dr. Earls was, and still is, a favorite. I suspect she secretly loved being the only DOCTOR at our school. Maybe she still is?