
I have a student who lies to me all the time. It occurs each time someone tattles on her for an offensive behavior and it has happened about 8 times since she moved in a few months ago.
I know this student needs positive attention as it seems that may be lacking at home. I can tell she is exposed to things that a 7 year old should not see/hear and all I want is to be the one person in her life who shows her unconditional kindness (with boundaries of course), yet I am finding that rather difficult given the frequency with which she lies to me.
We have had several serious conversations about how to treat others and positive ways to begin and maintain friendships. We have talked about the importance of being honest as there may be one consequence for a poor choice but there are always TWO consquences when lying is involved. Despite these conversations, the lies are still coming.
How do you handle students/children who lie?

3 comments:
That is a tough one because I think as a public school teacher you aren't allowed to talk about your faith and yet faith and religion is the key. For my children I talk about how it's important that I be able to trust them and most importantly they understand that even if they get away with a lie---God knows and sees all things. Whenever my children are hesitating to give me an answer or give an answer with a pinnochio look---I need only say, "Remember, God knows" and then they tell the truth.
Many of my students have faith in God and that might just work, but unfortunately, I am not the person who can use that line with them. I am hoping that I can form a bond with this student and help her to realize that I am an ally and not an enemy. I invited her to have lunch with me in the classroom and in doing that I hope I get to know her better and we can have some time together outside of her getting in trouble!
your students (and their parents) are very lucky to have you as a teacher. I admire how much of yourself you give them---even outside of your regular duties and time in the classroom.
Post a Comment