Towards the end of the summer I submitted an application to be an adjunct professor in the ESOL/bilingual endorsement program at PSU. Since completing my doctorate, I have really wanted to start teaching at the university level in addition to teaching at the elementary level. I really enjoy my part time employment status, so I felt like teaching one or maybe two college courses would be a great compliment to my Kindergarten job because it would still allow me to be home in the afternoons with my girls. And, as a grad student, I always appreciated professors who were still practicing teachers.
About a month ago, I completed a survey on literacy instruction that was sent out by a professor at PSU. The survey asked for follow-up phone interviews, so I had a brief chat with the researcher/professor. As we chatted, I mentioned my dissertation and how I make efforts to teach reading in culturally responsive ways even while using a core reading program. At that mention, the professor asked if I was interested in teaching at the university level and I said yes, so we discussed the prospect of having me teach a course that is part of the reading endorsement program.
Yesterday, I heard back about both opportunities and I am now slotted to teach Second Language Acquisition and Development for K-12 Educators in the winter, which is a hybrid (partially online) course and also Culturally Responsive Literacy Instruction in the spring, which is entirely online.
I'm so excited!
The winter course is from 6:40-9:20 PM, which works out really well in terms of sharing childcare with my husband and the spring one will allow me to work/grade from home, which again works out really well.
Woot! Woot!

5 comments:
Wow congratulations! I'm jealous. I really want to work at the college level but don't want to give up teaching in elementary. Maybe once I'm a doctor I can do both :)
Congrats, that's so exciting! Do you know what LMS they use - Blackboard, Canvas, Desire2Learn, etc?
Oh, how exciting! Congrats!
So exciting!!! What a wonderful opportunity!
So awesome! Can I take the online one?
Post a Comment