Catching Up

Entering the fourth week of school, I finally felt prepared. The first few weeks are so hard because I always feel like I am doing everything in my power just to stay afloat. I only plan for one day at a time because we usually end up not getting through everything and I bump activities from one day to the next. I think I have finally settled into the year, I've gotten used to being back at work and doing the work/mom balance, and I've finally got a little rhythm going.

What's going great so far this year...


  • So far I have 20 students. That number is amazing compared to last year and I really hope it sticks. 
  • Whole Brain Teaching. It's amazing. I worried that I would forget to use it or I wouldn't do it correctly, but it's super easy and very effective. I wish I had tried it out sooner. 
  • Brain Breaks! I am using gonoodle.com for brain breaks on a daily basis and the kiddos love it. I am also incorporating a lot of movement and songs into my instruction and that just makes the day fun.
  • Daily play time. Yes, I brought it back and I am so glad. The kids LOVE to have play time and it is amazing to have 15 minutes of time to just watch them in action. It's really fun to see what skills they demonstrate through play. Also, play time is really helpful with accountability for behavior. If students don't work during work time or don't follow directions, we use some of play time to practice those behaviors correctly. I only keep them out for part of play time though, because I am just really firm this year that they need to play and that play is the right thing to do. 
  • My idea for a revamped math plan that better aligns with CCSS was actually used by the district in the creation of our new pacing guide (woot woot!). I am feeling really good about teaching math in units instead of spiraling lessons that touch on something new everyday. 

And, now, for my awesome news...

After working very hard on some writing this summer while having a newborn and a toddler at home, I found out recently that an article I wrote was accepted for publication in The Reading Teacher journal. I am beyond excited because when I did my dissertation research, I really wanted to make my work pubic in a journal that was focused on reading instruction, not just focused on multicultural education. My article talks about using culturally responsive practices within the context of implementing a core reading program. I'm not sure when it will be published, but I am SO excited. I set my sights on The Reading Teacher as my journal of choice and even with a 15% acceptance rate, my work was selected. Can I get a mighty OH YEAH!?

And, my colleague and I have been accepted to present about our work with iPads at the Southern California Kindergarten Conference in February! We are pumped! Double OH YEAH!!


4 comments:

Miss Kindergarten said...

YOU ARE GOING TO BE AT SCKC!?!??! NOw I have to go!!!!!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Congrats all around! That's great news. :)

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Wow, you are SO AMAZING! Being in the Reader Teacher is awesome! I was just reading your iPad article again that you sent me last year- I only have 2 iPads but I am going to use some of the tips.

Also, so glad you put playtime back in. I use it for behavior too and it makes a huge difference. I also don't take it away entirely though... but really don't need to!

Raye said...

That's awesome that you got an article accepted :) Good for you!

One of my colleagues, a full-day K teacher, told me last year she always has 40 minutes of play scheduled into her day. I have sat in there with her and just watched what I used to think was chaos...and I realized what a beautiful thing it is. These inner city friends who come to us SO far behind most of the time are thriving when they can just explore, play and be kids!