This year I am hoping to implement The Daily 5 during my small group reading time. Actually, I am thinking of starting the year with just 3
Read to Self
Work on Writing
Word Work
Then maybe in January, I will introduce
Read to Someone
and
Listen to Reading
I absolutely love this idea of putting photos of each child reading on their book box.
Adorable, right?
| http://peaceloveandkinder.blogspot.com/ |
Now I just need to purchase some cardboard book boxes and get my classroom library in order.
For my classroom library baskets, I purchased these adorable Polka Dot Classroom Library Labels from TPT for $4.00. I love that the set also comes with icons that can be printed on round stickers so that all of the books in each box have a sticker that matches the label on the outside of the basket. That will definitely help kiddos return their books to the correct basket. {hopefully}
I printed the labels, cut them, selected the ones that go with my book categories, laminated them, and cut them again. Whew. Am I done yet?
Not even close.
Even with sorting through the labels included in the set and selecting the ones that fit my books, I still had 55 different labels.
I do not have 55 baskets to accommodate said labels and the books that go with them. Even if I did have 55 baskets, I do not have enough shelf space to house 55 baskets.
So, I sorted through the labels again trying to distinguish between books I will use for instruction versus books that I want kids to be able to put into their personal book boxes to read during our Daily 3.
That helped to reduce the number of baskets I will need.
I now have 13 non-fiction categories, 10 favorite author/favorite character categories, and 2 additional categories. Plus, I have 8 other categories that are seasonal that I will rotate in and out of one basket because I don't think we need Valentine, Halloween, or Christmas books out all year.
That leaves me needing 26 book baskets for my classroom library.
I have a bunch of baskets that I got at the Dollar Tree years ago, but I don't think they are the right size to accommodate all of my books. I guess I can see which books fit into those and take it from there. I still don't think I can fit 26 different baskets on the bookshelf that I have, but that remains to be seen. I plan to do a LOT of work in my classroom next week on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday because the girlies start daycare and I will be child free. It is much easier to complete projects when you're not changing poopy diapers, breastfeeding, and rocking a baby to sleep only to repeat the cycle when the sleeping baby pops open her eyes and gives you a huge wide awake smile as soon as you try to lay her down. And the fire alarm going off 4 times didn't help either.
Yes, the fire alarm went off FOUR times.
I am not sure what I will do with the books that I want to reserve for instruction because I definitely don't want those mixed in with the books that the kids will be putting in their book boxes, but again, that is a project for another day since I can't very well power through my classroom library setup now that I am home.
Stay tuned for pics of my fantabulous classroom library.
Is your classroom library fabulous?
What kind of baskets do you use? Where did you buy them?
Where can I get the cardboard magazine boxes for cheap?


3 comments:
I love the ideas reading photos, but I bought plastic bins last year so I wonder if that would work. I think it probably still will.
I have this crazy idea this year that I may mess up all my book organization lol. I know this sounds crazy but I read this post on teachers.net talking about it and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since lol. Basically I have this idea that a kid is going to say "I want to read about animals today!" And actually go to the animal bin, but really this rarely (if ever) happens in my room. This might be my own fault of course, but I'm considering just putting out less books at a time and trying that. I don't know though... It's hard to part with organization.
Also, I do daily 3 too... Read to self, word work and then an activity that day, usually doing alphabet books if we learned a new letter or sight word books etc.
This was such a funny post! Loved it!
I also loved the idea of labels of the children reading on their own book bins, but beyond that I think it's probably better to purchase the digital paper and make your own labels if you can! I would look at those cute designs and do something like the one you like best. It seems like they are never going to fit the tubs we already have, or suit or existing storage system, or include the categories we already have.
You can download the label templates free from the Avery website and just print them on paper using a variety of sizes if you don't know how to construct your own.
Heidi
Hi, you can get the cardboard magazine file boxes at IKEA 5 for 1.49. It's the cheapest I have ever seen them!
Post a Comment