Summer Teacher Reads

In the past few months I have purchased several teachery books and unfortunately they have just sat on my desk so far because I haven't made reading a priority. It's much easier to read a book if it's digital because I can read on my phone or iPad when I am feeding the baby in the wee hours of the morning, so my only reading as of late has been novels. But, alas, when I read teachery things, I really prefer to have "real" books, pages to turn, and paper pages to write on. I like to make notes on Post-its and write in margins, so that I can put the ideas to use in my classroom. 

I have quite the collection of teacher books...

I know, I have a problem...

The three that I have on my summer reading agenda are in this stack right here


The Daily 5


 Kagan Cooperative Learning


Developmentally Appropriate Practice: Focus on Kindergartners


I am always super excited when I come across a book that will give me new ideas for my classroom, but I am far from as diligent about reading these kinds of books as I was when I was working on my doctorate.

I came across a book study that many bloggers are doing with the new edition of The Daily 5, so even though I am not officially participating in the book study, I am hoping to read along with them so that I can think about using The Daily 5 (in some aspect) in my small groups next school year. Since we have 1:1 iPads in our Kindergarten classrooms, I don't think my version would look exactly like how the Two Sisters do it, but the iPads may allow me to do digital versions of work work or something like that. 

What is on your summer reading list? 
Do you prefer to read for business or pleasure during the summer?

2 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I am the same way- only read books on my kindle at the moment ha ha. My principal got me the new edition of Daily 5 though so I will be looking at that this summer I'm sure. I have to admit I used to read soooo much more teaching books and now... not so much :)

Raye said...

It's a good problem! I have so many teachery books, it's ridiculous. I have 3 big baskets full, two extra shelves full just at home plus all of the ones on my night stand/in my bedroom (those are the "current" reads) and the ones in my classroom.