Day 1

Today was our first day and overall I think it went pretty well. I don't really like the beginning of the school year as much as I like that comfortable place that we get to by October and a lot less than that fabulous place we get to by spring. I love it when we've settled in and we've gotten into a groove. At that point, I always think back on the very beginning with a sigh of relief and thankfulness that we can go about our day and it's not all brand new and overwhelming.

But right now, we're just smack in the middle of brand new and overwhelming.

So far I have 25 students. I say so far because I have a feeling that our numbers in half day are going to keep growing. Our full day classes are capped at 25, so they don't get any additional students unless someone leaves, which isn't all that common. I started today with 24 and already got an email after school that I will have an additional child starting Thursday. Although I appreciate the extra day to get ready for said new child, I'd also like for that child to not miss another day of learning routines and procedures. Missing the first few days is crucial even though we continue to practice and repeat everything many time for the immediate future. I know that many would consider me lucky because class sizes are absolutely insane and in the grand scheme 25 is actually quite small. Yet, when those 25 are Kinders, it doesn't seem that small to me. I am already out of backpack hooks and my new student results in a shortage of iPads. My tables are filled and the thought of more kiddos being added gives me anxiety. I guess I will just be thankful I don't have 30. Where would I put them all?

I ofte hear teaching Kindergarten likened to herding cats. That's exactly what I felt like I was doing today. Repeating instructions over and over only to be met with blank stares. Asking children to form a line and showing them exactly where to stand only to be followed by a clump resembling tangled spaghetti.

I can already tell that I have several students who don't understand a lot of English and I have 14 boys which is more boys that I have ever had in the past. Although it's only day 1, I can already tell that my teaching will be different this year. I need to find ways to engage active boys who are smart but want to play and be silly and I need to ensure that I am really focusing on language in the classroom and making my instruction comprehensible for beginning English speakers. I need to find a way to inspire one little cutie to listen and follow directions in a way that doesn't involve saying "please sit down" 47 times every half hour. I spent 2 hours after school today planning just for tomorrow trying to make sure that I balance sitting time with movement. For some reason this year just feels different to me. Maybe it will be a hard year and a great year for personal reflection and learning. Maybe it will be a great year. It's hard to tell from just one day.

In any event, I am relieved that the first day is over. None of the first day disaster dreams I had over the summer came true and I think the kiddos had fun. They loved Pete The Cat and we played the Exercise Game to get the wiggles out. Tomorrow I am going to blow their minds with A TootyTa after we read Howard B Wigglebottom Learns to Listen and Have You Filled a Bucket Today?

I highly recommend A Tooty Ta.

Take a look....

4 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Jeez, I feel like 25 is HUGE for K haha. I have 22, which I still feel like is big but I've definitely started the year higher before and it's always been rough. I know it depends on the kids. I had my first in-classroom day no kids yesterday, super overwhelming as every specialist came by to tell me the many, many issues of the kids haha. Today I meet all of them and then tomorrow is the first day. My group was so hard last year so I'm really hoping for at least a tiny bit of a break this year. Fingers crossed!

Also, I'm with you... NOT a fan of the beginning of the year.

Annie said...

I don't know how many times my team and I said yesterday "We can't wait until October!" It is so true, I can't wait to get out of this beginning of the year stuff and into a nice steady routine :) Good luck!

Kathy said...

Do you know about Heidisongs. She has great songs for math and sight words. She also has a website. Heidisongs.com. I have used several of the basic songs with my pre-k classes and they help with the wiggles and also singing seems to help with English. I had 16 last year and 13 were boys. I had to have lots of movement with games and songs. I hope you have a great year.

Becca Morris said...

You can do it! I love hearing teachers talk in such detail about a class of students they just met. We learn a lot that first day, don't we?

✰Becca
Simply 2nd Resources