My little project this morning was finishing up my first set of word wall sight word cards. I am not sure what comes with our new reading program, but I know I want to post sight words on my word wall, so I went ahead and made my own set. As we learn each word, I will add it to my word wall below the alphabet letters.
This is a pile of 87, yes that's right, eighty seven sight words that Kinders will learn this year.
printed, cut, laminated and then cut again.
Whew.
I have to redo these because I didn't feed the sheet in straight and the sheet is all buckled and lumpy.
Oops.
Depending on what is provided with our curriculum materials I might make another set because I have another wall space where I plan to post words to review.
If the kiddos have to learn 87 words, I want those words in their face
all. the. time.
My colleague came across this post and this post on a blog called i Teach With iPads about personalized learning and helping students develop ownership of their learning. She is planning to have her full day Kinders manage their own learning portfolios where they add stickers to standards they have mastered.
In half-day Kinder, I am curious about the idea, but I need to pare it down to something reasonable for the short time I have the kiddos. I may focus on objective skills in reading and early literacy rather than all of the standards. I am thinking about making a placemat sized (11 X 17) version of our word wall so that students can add stars or stickers next to each word they can read. I would have them bring their personal word wall with them when I assess 1:1 and then based on their assessment add stickers with them. They would then keep their personal word wall in their work bucket so they could have everyday access to the list of words they still need to practice. Possibly, I would add the letter sounds to the back so they could earn stickers for mastering sounds as well.
At this point I am just playing with the idea and I'm not sure how it would work, but I feel like I definitely need to make some changes in order to help my kiddos be successful at learning 87 words.
How do you help kiddos learn sight words?
If you have any great activities, I'd love to hear about them!



1 comment:
Wow 87 is a lot! We do 51 and it is still a lot for some kids :) not nearly enough for others of course! I love the idea of the kids putting stickers when they know a word :) I think you may have them already but I use Heidi Songs for sight words and as the songs play the kids write them on whiteboards. I also did reading goals this year and a lot of kids choose to learn a certain number of sight words. We played a lot of games and got parents involved so the kids could meet their own goal.
Post a Comment