Leaving before the end of the school year is so different than watching them board the buses on the last day of school. I am leaving before it's over...before they learn everything they are supposed to learn...and I feel like it will be weird when I am at home and they are at school doing their thing without me.
That being said, the kids are so in the groove of our routines and daily activities in the classroom-I know they will do great without me. I get to leave them in the very capable hands of my good friend Jill and they are just taking off in their skills.
We recently started journal writing and I am so impressed with what I am seeing. I felt like I started journals much later this year than I did last year and I was a bit worried because our post-test writing assessment showed very little improvement among my two groups. Mostly that is because the objective changes between the fall pre-test and the winter post-test so it's more difficult for kids to be considered proficient. And also because the writing assessment we are asked to give them prompts them to write a story which is something we have never even worked on...not cool. But, since that post test, we have begun learning about writing in journals and their work is fabby.
Each time we write I model by writing in my own journal and repeat the important things I want to see:
- date at the top
- sentence starting with an uppercase letter
- spaces in between the words
- sight words spelled correctly (which they can do because of all of the Heidi's songs we sing and having the words posted on the word wall)
- period at the end of the sentence
On the one hand I am really excited for these next 7 weeks to just get over and done with so I can have my baby in my arms, but on the other hand I am cherishing the time I have left with these groups. They are really great this year and I will miss them!

3 comments:
I left before the end of the year and felt like you except I did not have a "friend" to take over my class. In fact, the long term sub was replaced soon after the birth of my son. Enjoy your classes until then. Time will fly by.
I'm not sure I knew Jill was taking over your class- that will be so nice because she'll be sure to fill you in on how the kids are doing!
I also love my class this year and don't want the year to end, even though it's not so soon for me!
Oh, one more thing- what have you guys been doing for writing before this? I start journal pictures at the end of September and writing in early October. By now my kids are writing multiple page books and we are going to start nonfiction writing soon. We actually have no writing assessment but I use the Words Their Way words to do my own spelling one. I love writing in K but I'm not a fan of journals (I just feel like the kids get sick of it really fast, don't know what to write about etc) so I like to get it over with. Interesting to hear you guys wait until so much longer to start it. When we start my kids aren't leaving spaces at all :)
Post a Comment