This morning, I asked the class if they knew who had been elected.
I heard some interesting feedback.
One little boy informed me that "Obama is evil." I asked him what made him think that and he replied, "My mom told me."
Another little girl explained to me that if you don't want your baby, Obama will kill it before it comes out because he kills babies.
I completely respect everyone's right to their own opinions and political views. It surprises me, however, that parents are so blatant in discussing these issues with children who are so young and unaware of the meaning and impact these words have.
I commend parents for taking the time to make their children aware of information pertaining to politics/the election, but I do think that there should be a certain degree of filtering when it comes to discussing abortion with 6 year olds. Is that necessary?

2 comments:
Wow, that's really tough...and a really sad one. Our family has strong feelings about abortion but I can't say that I've discussed them with our children---especially in those terms. I feel especially sad for the kids in the class whose parents DID filter their opinions, but now they've heard something third party that they will have to address. Kind of reminds me of when a girl in my 3rd grade class felt the need to give me a COMPLETE "street" detailed version of how babies are made. I still shudder over that one.
To make icing that will be hard, you should use Royal Icing. You can either use meringue powder (found in the bakin aisle or a craft store) which is dried egg whites, just follow the directions for the measurements of it all. You will want to pipe the outside border, then let that dry, then add a little water to the remaining icing to make it a bit runny, and fill the cookies with that. It's called 'flooding'.
Here is a recipe for royal and how to flood exactly:
http://www.thewoodenspooncookingschool.com/tag/flooding-royal-icing/
Hope this helps! I need to make a little tutorial for this in my blog :)
Post a Comment