The thought occurred to me today when an employee at my school referred to one of my students as the "special ed kid" that many people may not know the "PC" or preferred way to refer to individuals with disabilities.
In all of my special education courses at PSU we learned about people first language which essentially puts the person before the disability. An article by Kathie Snow www.disabilityisnatural.com clearly identifies some important ideas to make note of when discussing people who
have disabilities
have disabilities
People with disabilities are NOT:
- people who suffer from the tragedy of birth defects
- paraplegic heroes who struggle to become normal again
- victims who fight to overcome their challenges
- nor are they retarded, autistic, blind, deaf, or learning disabled
People with disabilities are PEOPLE. They can be moms, dads, sons, daughters, employees, friends, neighbors, students, teachers, doctors, presidents and more. People with disabilities should be recognized as people first and not characterized simply by the disability they have. Snow indicates that the real problem is never a person's disability, but the attitudes of others. Whether intentional or unintentional, the words that people use can be hurtful.
Here are some great examples of People First Language
Say:
People with disabilities
Paul has a cognitive disability
Kate has autism (or a diagnosis of...)
Ryan has Down syndrome
Sara has a learning disability
Bob has a physical disability
Tom has a mental health condition
Steve receives special education services
Nora uses a wheelchair
Tonya has a developmental delay
Children without disabilities
She needs/uses...
Instead of saying:
The handicapped or disabled
He's mentally retarded
She's autistic
He's Down's
She's learning disabled
He is crippled
He is emotionally disturbed
He's in special ed (or is a special ed kid)
She's developmentally delayed
Normal/typical/healthy kids
She has a problem with
Sometimes it can be frustrating that people still use the term retarded (and often think it is a funny way to crack a joke) but I try to realize when I hear comments or statements such as that, most people have not been taught an alternative way to speak about individuals with disabilities. I know the person who spoke to me today was not intending at all to speak negatively about my student, but his choice of words certainly could be construed as derogatory, especially for someone working in a school.
My hope is that more people will learn to understand people first language and to acknowledge that people with disabilities are people, with feelings, hopes, beliefs, and talents. They are unique and offer gifts to the world. They may not be good at everything, but who is?
Some of the students that I have had with disabilities have brought so much joy into my life. They achieved so much in my classroom and it was a joy to be their teacher. I hope that most people they encounter in their lives see them for all that they have and all that they are rather than just defining them with a label and a disability.

1 comment:
Hi. I'm glad I found your blog. You seem like such a caring, warm and open-hearted person.
My baby has... somethingorother. She was tentatively diagnosed with Cohen syndrome. Have you ever come across it?
I always tried to speak this way, even before my daughter came along, but I didn't always know how to phrase things. I've seen mothers of kids with special needs say "normal kids" and it hurt me to see them imply their child was odd.
The term "children without disabilities" is so much more accurate and pleasant sounding.
One time I was discussing an issue with a former teacher of mine on the phone and she actually said, "It's just so retarded the way...." and I actually started crying. This was right at the beginning of our journey to a diagnosis with my daughter and it hurt so badly.
And this is a teaching methods teacher! (Not special ed, though.)
People like you are raising awareness and changing the world bit by bit.
I hope my daughter will always have teachers like you!
Post a Comment