Sometimes when you look at the writing of a child, it is hard to decipher any meaning in what is on the page. Many of my first graders use unconventional spacing in between letters and words and their frequent use of mostly or only uppercase letters makes the message they are trying to convey pretty unclear. I want to know them better through their stories, so I pour over their writing looking at each letter and thinking about the sound it makes, trying to piece together the thoughts they have put down onto the page.
Although the words may not be spelled correctly, they are made up of letters representing the sounds students hear when they say the words. Some letters may be missing, but sure enough when you say the sounds of the letters that are there, you hear the word they wanted to say. They are doing a wonderful job writing stories about their lives and I just love to read them. It is almost like decoding a secret, encrypted language. When I figure out the meaning I am so thrilled to know what they were trying to say.
Here are two of my favorite journal entries from last week. The writing is very hard to see, but look hard! The stories are there.
Sam
"Dinosaurs lived millions and millions of years ago.
They aren't alive anymore.
If you were there you would get killed."
Michelle
"I have friends."
I have to admit, when I first looked at this piece, I thought to myself, "Michelle did not do what I asked, she just wrote down a few random letters and drew a picture." Then I stopped myself and remembered the fantastic book I read this summer about the 6 + 1 Traits of Writing. There was an example that looked just like this and the author found many wonderful things to compliment.
I gave it another try. I asked Michelle to read to me what she had written.
She read, "I have friends."
Of course that is what is says! She wrote down the first sound of each word and she drew all of her friends to illustrate her topic. This is wonderful. Michelle is a beginning writer. English is her second language and she did a wonderful job. She even included the date at the top of the page! Michelle will eventually learn to put spaces in between her words and to write down all of the sounds rather than just the first, but this is a great beginning! Michelle's friendships are obviously important to her since she wrote about them in her journal. Imagine if I did not acknowledge all of the great things she did in this piece?!
There is more to kid writing than meets the eye!

1 comment:
Another great post! I'm excited to see examples of what your students are doing in the classroom.
Isn't it exciting when you read something and then see it illustrated in your own teaching? I feel that way a lot since I only have my own children to compare things to...but oftentimes when I find a good book on teaching, complete with photographs illustrating the point the author is making, and then I see it with my own kids----I get so excited!
When my children move on to writing stories I'm going to keep your example in mind and not be quick to correct their work before I ask them about it.
We are using the Handwriting without Tears program. If you visit their website there are a number of free resources you might find interesting that you could apply in your classroom.
Post a Comment